The South Carolina Bar Exam
South Carolina Bar Exam Dates, Requirements, and Scheduling
You can begin filling out your applications for the South Carolina State Bar Exam as soon as August 1, 2023, for the February 2024 exam and December 1, 2023, for the July 2024 exam.
It's important not to procrastinate as the fee to submit an application to sit for the South Carolina Bar Exam increases by $500 after the timely filing deadline. The 2023 exam filing deadlines are as follows:
|Aug. 31, 2023
|Jan. 10, 2024
|Sept. 30, 2023
|Jan. 31, 2024
The State Supreme Court of South Carolina stipulates that applicants must have graduated with a Juris Doctorate (JD) or LLB from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association to sit for the SC Bar Exam. Applicants must also undergo a character and fitness interview before they can be admitted to the South Carolina Bar, but it is not required to sit for the exam.
To schedule your appointment to take the South Carolina Bar Exam, you first must create an account with the Supreme Court of South Carolina Office of Bar Admissions and submit your application and all documents before the final filing deadline. Note that you won’t be able to create an account until 15 days before the filing period opens. You'll also need to input your National Conference of Bar Examiners (NCBE®) number when you register, so create an NCBE account if you don't already have one.
The application process is divided into two parts:
|Office of Bar Admissions
Supreme Court of South Carolina
P.O. Box 11330 Columbia, SC 29211
|Application drop off for Part B
|Office of Bar Admissions
Supreme Court Building 1231 Gervais Street
Columbia, SC 29201
A 266 minimum score on the UBE is required for admission to the South Carolina Bar, with the exam weight divided between the MBE (50%), MEE (30%), and MPT (20%) sections. The MEE and MPT sections are combined to form half of the total exam weight and graded accordingly. This means that the writing section (MEE/MPT) and multiple-choice section (MBE) are each responsible for 200 points, or 50%, of the total scaled score. If you perform poorly on one section, you can be compensated by doing well on the other, as long as the combined scores reach 266 or higher.
Getting 133 correct answers out of 200 MPT questions does not directly translate to 133 scaled points on the bar exam. The bar exam uses scaled scoring to maintain fairness across different exam versions and this applies to all three sections. To account for variations in difficulty, raw scores are transformed into scaled scores through a process called equating. However, the exact calculations used by the NCBE to determine scaled scores are not publicly disclosed.
Make exam day feel like practice with our simulated MPT experience.